Weymouth Neighbourhood Plan
What is a neighbourhood plan?
A neighbourhood plan sets out the policies that are used to help make decisions about planning applications in the area.
It is led by the local community and gives everyone an opportunity to have a say and help shape future development.
You can read more about it in “How to create a Neighbourhood Plan: Your step-by-step roadmap Guide”
How to get involved and have your say
- Come along to our regular Public Neighbourhood Forum virtual meeting. It is a space for everyone to come and find out more about the plan, share your own ideas about the future of Weymouth, volunteer for activities or just listen. For details email email@example.com
- Read the current Draft Vision, Mission and Aims by clicking here. We would love to know what you think. This is important and underpins the plan by describing the needs, expectations, and aspirations of the community. Your comments will help to shape the development of policy within the Weymouth Neighbourhood Plan. Please send feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attend or help organise a walkabout in your area. Help identify the important characteristics and local issues in your neighbourhood. Provide information to shape and support policy development.
- Invite us to come along and do a short presentation or run a workshop for your group or organisation so they can participate in the process.
- To be kept informed with the latest news and updates from the Town Council, click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
- Read about your neighbourhood in the Draft Character Assessment document by clicking here. We would love to know what you think – please send feedback to: email@example.com
What area is covered by the Weymouth Neighbourhood Plan?
Our neighbourhood plan will apply to the wider Weymouth area, not just the town centre. The designated boundary was agreed in July 2020:
Sutton Poyntz which lies within the boundary already has a neighbourhood plan. It was adopted on 5 May 2020. The new Weymouth Neighbourhood Plan will respect and include the policies of the Sutton Poyntz Neighbourhood Plan.
As your town council, we facilitate Weymouth’s Neighbourhood Plan. It’s our job to get the views of local residents and businesses and use them to write planning policies which reflect our community’s vision for Weymouth.
This is a collaborative process and we will use stages of community engagement to decide the content of the plan.
Stage 1 – Early engagement (Gathering evidence)
We gather information, ideas and views from the community. We compile evidence for emerging themes including jobs, homes, environment and green spaces
Stage 2 – Mid-stage engagement (Preparing the Plan and Pre-submission consultation)
We facilitate discussions focussing on themes for drafting policy and produce a draft plan. We publish the draft plan for consultation. Following public consultation modifications are made to the Plan.
Stage 3 – Independent Examination and Referendum (Bringing the Plan into Force)
We submit the plan to Dorset Council, our local planning authority. Subject to approval from an independent Planning Inspector a referendum will be held giving the local community the opportunity to say yes or no to the plan.
Who will prepare the Neighbourhood Plan?
Weymouth Town Council are the accountable body. The plan needs to conform with certain requirements before it is submitted to Dorset Council.
The process began in December 2020 and the plan is prepared over a two year period through consultation with local people and support from experts in Neighbourhood Planning. A Steering Group has been appointed to guide the process, comprising of people who represent our many different communities, businesses and interest groups in Weymouth.
Project activities to date
- Early 2021 online survey and creation of a Draft Vision, Mission and Aims
Residents were invited to complete a survey to tell us about their neighbourhood and what they would like to see in the future. The results have been compiled into a Draft ‘Vision and Aims’ document which forms part of the evidence for the project, describing the needs, expectations, and aspirations of the community. This will be refined with further input from the community and help to shape the development of policy within the Weymouth Neighbourhood Plan.
Our current draft vision: By 2038, Weymouth will be a resilient coastal community with a diverse range of jobs and homes which meet the needs of residents for present generations without compromising the needs of future generations. The unique identities of our local neighbourhoods will be attractive to all age groups and will foster healthy and happy lifestyles.
- A public ‘Call for Sites’ process was carried out between September 15th to October 27th 2021 to help identify land where there is a belief it could be developed to meet future need for homes, jobs, leisure or community use.
Housing Needs Assessment
The provision of homes forms a major part of the Neighbourhood Plan. To help inform the development of appropriate policies that meet the needs of residents now and in the future Weymouth Town Council has commissioned a Housing Needs Assessment. Read the Housing Needs Assessment by clicking here.
Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group Meeting Notes