Weymouth Community Emergency Plan
As part of the Town Council’s work on declaring a Climate and Ecological Emergency we have worked with Dorset Council’s Emergency Planning Team to develop a Weymouth Community Emergency Plan that is designed to help improve and promote community resilience.
The purpose of the Community Emergency Plan is to increase resilience within local communities by being prepared to respond quickly to and aid recovery from local or wider emergencies. This is achieved through the co-ordination of existing local resources to provide self-help and support for communities which is delivered in a way that supports and compliments the emergency services.
A copy of the plan is available below:
The plan provides details of local organisations that are able to assist the local Community.
The plan has been designed to:
- Help the community to cope better with a disruptive event, particularly if emergency services are overloaded.
- Improve, organise and co-ordinate the community response to an emergency.
- Provide a co-ordinated local point of contact and assistance for emergency services and the community.
- Support communication so people know what to do and can respond in the best way.
- Help to identify and support those that are vulnerable.
- To support residents and businesses to recover from the emergency.
Are you prepared?
There are a number of actions you can take right now to keep yourself, your home, your family and your business safe in the event of an emergency.
Visit the Dorset Local Resilience Forum for more information.
Home Emergency Action Plan Booklet
Click here to download the booklet, which has been put together by the Dorset LRF to give you some basic information on how you can help yourself and your family in emergencies.
Warning & Information
You can sign up with the Environment Agency and Met Office to receive free alerts and information on flood risk and weather warnings.
- Sign up to The Flood Warning Service (FWS): https://www.gov.uk/sign-up-for-flood-warnings
- Met Office weather warnings email alerts from www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/guide-to-emails
If you or someone you know is vulnerable then you are able to sign up with your utility providers to be put onto their priority list which will trigger additional support services from the utility company in an emergency or prolonged outage.
- Electricity – SSE Priority Service Register 0800 294 329.
- Water – Wessex Water Customer Care Plus’ Register 0345 600 3 600.